RELAX WITH SCIENCE
There’s always too much going on. People take vacations for weeks. You can’t even get away for an hour, let alone a day. Assorted studies tell us to take a break and walk around from as few as once to as many as three times an hour. Unless what we’re supposed to be doing is walking around, that just isn’t going to happen. We are just too dang busy.
Step away from the chaos for less than a minute with this mesmerizing twist on the hourglass. Filled with iron filings instead of sand, the Magnetic Hourglass has a rare earth magnet in its base which inexorably draws the filings toward it. They create formations almost like stalagmites, a kinetic sculptural performance you can enjoy for hours – 30 seconds at a time.
- Magnetic Hourglass
- A ThinkGeek exclusive
- Mesmerizing – we should warn you that you may find yourself watching it for hours
- Filings take roughly 30 seconds to fall
- It’s also fun to move the hourglass around the base
- Reminds us of a soot sprite
- Materials: Glass hourglass, iron filings, and a rare earth magnet in the metal base
- Dimensions: 6 3/4″ tall x 3″ diameter base
- Weight: 7 oz.
- Includes hourglass and base
- Note: Be especially careful when setting the hourglass on the base when the iron filings are already all in the bottom section. It may be a weak force, but magnetism can be pretty strong!